Academy support from SBS brings together the key elements you will need for a successful academy conversion from beginning to end, and beyond.
We have a strong track record in providing conversion project management support to schools wishing to become an academy, or a group of schools looking to establish their own Multi Academy Trust (MAT).
Specialised support for your converting school
Using tested project plans and consultancy the SBS team is able to provide full control of the process, ensuring that support is directed where it is most needed.
Service level options
Our service is designed to provide support in 3 different stages, which can be purchased independently or together.
Enables schools to gain a good understanding of the pre-conversion decisions, the role and responsibilities of governors and the potential impact on the school, especially with regard to the financial, HR and legal changes.
- Cost benefit analysis report
- Academy funding information
- Independent advice on all finance related matters
Offering a full and comprehensive conversion solution that removes the added workload that academy conversion presents.
- Project planning
- Pensions registration
- Data protection registration and other licenses
- Financial Returns to EFA
- Banking and insurance
- Actuary valuation of Local Government Pension Scheme
- Financial support
- HR and staffing support
- MIS and ICT support
- Premises support
- Strategic budget planning
As part of Stage Two, a project plan will be drawn up detailing key milestones, target dates and the number of days to be delivered.
Support at this stage is a critical component to any conversion, to ensure the success and longevity of the academy:
- Financial system set-up & chart of accounts configuration
- Risk management service (formerly Responsible Officer)
- Post conversion Academy Finance & Business Support
Risk Management Service
(Formerly Responsible Officer)
This service provides your academy with an appropriately qualified, experienced and independent consultant, who will undertake a series of detailed checks during termly visits.
The Risk Management Service will provide the governing body with ongoing independent assurance that:
- The financial responsibilities of the governing body are being properly discharged
- Resources are being managed in an efficient, economical and effective manner
- Sound systems of internal financial control are being maintained
- Financial considerations are fully taken into account in reaching decisions
In order to establish these assurances we will focus our audit on 4 key areas:
Following our audit, we will provide the governing body with a full report to provide assurance that the areas tested are being operated satisfactorily and identify any areas for improvement in order to meet the EFA requirements.
Financial system set-up & chart of accounts configuration
Through a series of visits and off-site work, the SBS finance team will work with your internal stakeholders to build and structure your chart of accounts and final system to meet your individual requirements, whilst ensuring the statutory reporting of the academy are fulfilled correctly.
System configuration includes:
- Academy defined ledger code structures
- Ledger coding options
- Cost centre structures
- Cost centre coding options
- DFE reporting requirements (fixed)
- School’s reporting options
Find out more →