Posted on September 27, 2016 by Richard Page in SBS Online.
The apprenticeship levy has been talked about for what seems like an eternity.
It is now almost upon us and we have to budget for it accordingly.
The levy comes into effect in April 2017 and will see a 0.5% charge on your annual pay bill. You will only pay the levy if your pay bill exceeds £3 million in a given year as each employer will have an annual levy allowance of £15,000 to offset the charge (£3,000,000 x 0.5% = £15,000).
So how do you budget for the levy?
- In your budget planning software, be sure to access your most up to date budget scenario.
- Review a staffing summary. For those of you using SBS Online there are a multitude of ways to access this, I recommend the ‘Staff by Year Report’. Press the subtotal button and scroll to the bottom. You will see an overall totals row.
- If the total basic pay + total superannuation is less than £3,000,000 you need take no further action.
- If it is greater than £3,000,000, deduct £3,000,0000 and multiply by 0.5%. Note the amount.
- Repeat the process for each year of the budget.
- Maintained schools should process the calculated amounts for each year starting April 2017. In SBS Online I recommend this be reflected using a ‘Budget Entry’.
- Academies should process the calculated amounts for year 2 onward, but for the current (first) year divide the amount by 12 and multiply by 5 to reflect the period from April to August only. Again using a ‘Budget Entry’ if using SBS Online.
- For Multi Academy Trusts, be sure to run consolidated costing reports for the trust as a whole. The individual academies within the trust need not worry if the trust reflects this as a whole. If this is the case and you are using SBS Online, use the ‘Staff by Year Report’ within the ‘Multi-School’ module.
For full details of the Apprenticeship levy, including how you go about accessing funds allocated to apprentices, click here
There are of course more definitive ways to calculate a monthly amount in SBS Online. If this is of interest we will be only too happy to help. Contact your Service Desk on 0345 222 1551.
Posted on August 10, 2016 by Richard Page in SBS Online.
We have implemented the new teaching staff pay scales for 2016/17. The general rule is a 1% increase in value of each 2015/16 salary scale. Last year we introduced three scale tables – A, B and C. This represented a combination of options made available to schools at the time with regard to rises on M6 […]
Posted on May 5, 2016 by Richard Page in SBS Online.
Just a quick update with regards to the support staff pay scales for 2016. You may well be aware of this, but for those of you who are not, we hope that this proves useful. In March, two of the recognised local government unions – Unison and Unite – rejected the latest employers’ offer, asking […]
Posted on January 21, 2016 by Richard Page in SBS Online.
A number of our customers have been requesting we look into the pending April Support salary scales. Although yet to be finalised we understand you need to get to grips with your budget as soon as possible. With this in mind we have released the ‘final proposed uplifts’ in SBS Online for 2016 and 2017. When […]
Posted on January 6, 2016 by Richard Page in SBS Online.
We have received a few calls from customers asking to be reminded about how they go about setting up a new budget for the new year. Remember you can create a new budget for the new year whilst still working on the current year! Please see below some general pointers to act as a reminder. […]
Posted on November 24, 2015 by Richard Page in SBS Online.
Here at SBS HQ we are committed to ensuring customer satisfaction. As part of this we make it our responsibility to perform random spot checks on planners every now and again. If and when we see anything that we feel may not be quite right, we contact the school to discuss. On this occasion we […]
Posted on September 22, 2015 by Richard Page in SBS Online.
We’ve released a new update to SBS Online with a range of features: Exporting The majority of pages in the software are now exportable. The export to Excel option at the bottom left-hand corner of the screen has been removed and added as an option via the grey button in the top-right of the screen. […]
Posted on July 8, 2015 by Richard Page in SBS Online.
Following the announcement of the new pay scales for teachers from September 2015, we have created two new tables for you to choose between and apply in your budget settings: Teacher Scales – Sept 2015 (A) Teacher Scales – Sept 2015 (B) The reason we have created two tables is because the new scales offer […]
Posted on May 15, 2015 by Richard Page in SBS Online.
Since our allowances update was added to SBS Online in April, we have been hard at work developing and testing another comprehensive update to the software. This new release will include several great new features, many of which our customers have specifically requested (see – we do listen!) Here is an overview of the major […]
Posted on April 9, 2015 by Richard Page in SBS Online.
What is in the new Allowances update? Future Values for Allowances You will now be able to specify what allowances will be worth at any given effective date in your planner. This negates the need to create new sets of TLRs and other allowances every time they go up in value and also results in […]