For some of you there are two Census’s to complete, the CES Census is the extra one.
Please see below a link to a Completing the Census guide, along with a couple of bits taken from it to get you on your way.
Fileset 1102 includes an improvement to the pupil detail report
The improvement to the pupil detail report ensures that the totals reported take account of the changes made by patch 24483.
We expected to be able to provide this fileset by the middle of next week (w/b 07/01/2019).
Patch 24483 to correct mistakes related to enrolment status and to the classification of Polish ethnicity
This patch provides the following improvements.
- Ensures that pupil enrolments status on census reference date is obtained from the history of changes rather than enrolment status as displayed for the current date. This can be regarded as a relatively minor bug fix, as the old and new methods are unlikely to yield a different result.
- Ensures that pupils with an ethnicity of Polish are counted as ‘White Other’ rather than ‘Not Known’. This is a more significant bug fix, as there are many pupils with an ethnicity of Polish attending Catholic schools.
Validation Error 1015 (The totals of pupils by ethnicity and pupils by religion are different)
Unfortunately, there was a mistake in our first version of the validation that will trigger this error message in most schools and there are no legitimate actions for schools to take to resolve this.
Our revised version of the validation corrects this mistake and has been included in Fileset 1101,
Things to check first
- All new pupils have been assigned a religion and an ethnicity
- All new members of staff have been assigned a religion and an ethnicity
- Free School Meals information is up to date
- Any member of staff with a Catholic Certificate in Religious Studies has this or “CCRS” assigned as a qualification
- Any member of staff with a National Professional Qualification for Headship has this or “NPQH” assigned as a qualification
- In the case of maintained schools, ensure that only members of the leadership team i.e. executive headteacher; headteacher; deputy headteacher and assistant headteacher have been allocated to the leadership category in SIMS. Independent schools and colleges may choose to assign holders of equivalent roles (eg members of the senior management team) to the CES Leadership Team category.
- In the case of support staff, ensure that members of staff carrying out roles listed in Appendix B have been assigned those roles in SIMS.
- Create a new CES Census
- Complete missing information in panel 2 (school information)
- Press ‘Calculate all details’ button to populate remaining panels In panels 3 to 11
- Complete answers not calculated by SIMS
- Check answers that SIMS has calculated and correct if necessary
- Save the Census
- Create and validate
- Check the summary report
- When signed off by head, authorise the Census
If you have any problems with this Census the CES has provided a support desk which is open until Friday 15th February which can be contacted on any of the options below.
- Click here to raise a support ticket on the online helpdesk
- email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- telephone: 020 7901 1909 (9:30 – 16:00 Monday to Friday)
- telephone or email diocesan census representatives, who can assist with common support questions
If you would like an onsite consultancy visit to help you with the running of the school census or wish to book our Census Remote Service then please call us on 0345 222 1551 • Option 3 or email email@example.com