The outbreak of Covid-19 is an uncertain time for everyone, but schools and teachers are facing unprecedented disruption with schools now closed and exams cancelled.
In the coming weeks, there will be some occurrences where schools that remain open will face additional costs as a result of the outbreak and will not be able to cover these from their current resources.
The Department for Education (DfE) has provided guidance on a Coronavirus financial support plan running until the end of the 2019/20 summer term allowing the schools to focus on the vital part they are playing at this difficult time.
- All state-funded mainstream and special schools, and those offering alternative provision are eligible.
- Funding available to cover costs relating to specific items i.e. premises, free school meals and cleaning. Reimbursement for exam fees not included.
- Any extra payments to be made from existing budget. Further guidance to be released in June to inform of process to claim for reimbursement.
- Schools to keep records of all transactions relating to Covid-19 for audit purposes. There will be individual enquiries but not all transactions will require detailed reasoning.
- Value of support ranging from £25,000 (250 pupils or lower) up to £75,000 (Over 1000 pupils). All special schools and alternative provision eligible for £50,000.
- If you expect to face additional costs exceeding the limits, you can apply for an increased limit when making a claim.
- If you are experiencing cash flow issues due to the additional coats, contact the ESFA or Local Authority to make a claim for a short-term advance.
Don’t forget to keep an eye out in June for an announcement on how to make a claim and make sure that all Covid-19 related transactions made are recorded.
For more information and support, please contact the Finance Service Desk on 0345 222 1551 • Option 2, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous SBS communications relating to COVID-19 and School Closures
- Beware of coronavirus email scams
- SIMS ID Lite and additional resources for SIMS users
- Weduc Home School Learning Essentials for Free!
- Reporting on staff and student absences due to the Coronavirus
- Keyworkers information on School Closures
- Home School Resources
- Remote working solutions available for staff and students
- SIMS instructions for entering a Y Code for Self-Isolating Pupils
- SBS Coronavirus (COVID-19) Statement
- We are also taking requests for #SBSEduWebinars
Thinking about your school timetable?
Contacting the SBS team at home