April Round Up
Posted 12th April 2016
For those considering expanding their Academy Trusts or opening a new UTC the DfE have recently issued guidance.Primary Schools are reminded to publish details on how they spend their Sports Grant. And for all we start with a look at the EFA planner for the Summer term.
From The EFA Planner
- Fourth payment of Pupil Premium for 2015/2016
- Publication of academy trust budget forecast guidance
- Last payment of 2015/2016 Sports Grant to primary schools
- Academy trusts to submit their audited financial statements to Companies House by 31 May 2016
- Academy trusts' March accounts returns due 31 May 2016
- Academies Accounts Direction 2015 to 2016 published
- Academies Financial Handbook 2016 published.
- Academy trusts' budget forecasts due 31 July 2016
- Academies' August accounts return published
- New academy trusts to contact EFA by September if they intend to submit dormant accounts for 2015 to 2016
New Academies – March Accounts ReturnAcademy accounts returns assist the DfE in bringing together information from Academy Trusts (year end 31 August) with the accounts of the DfE (year end 31 March). Much of the information is from the accounts produced by academies as set out by SORP; but some additional information is needed by the DfE. The majority of Academies complete a return following publication of their year end audited accounts – however information about some operations is not available from these returns, so trusts may need to complete an additional March return.
The following Academies will need to provide the DfE with a March Accounts return:
- Trusts with academies open at 31 March 2016 that did not prepare audited accounts at 31 August 2015
- Trusts that did prepare audited accounts as at 31 August 2015 but have opened academies between 1 September 2015 and 31 March 2016
PE and Sport PremiumThe DfE provides funding to schools as part of the PE and Sport Premium, which is ring-fenced funding to help improve the quality of physical education and sport teaching in primary schools. One of the conditions of grant is that schools must publish information, on their website, about their use of the premium funding by 4 April 2016.
The information should include:
- The total amount of premium funding received
- A full breakdown of how the funding has been spent (or will be spent)
- What impact the school has seen on pupils’ PE and sport participation and attainment and how these improvements will be sustainable in the future.
- Schools should also consider how their use of the premium is giving pupils the opportunity to develop healthy, active lifestyles.
DfE Funding for Sponsored Academy ProjectsThe DfE have recently published a document that gives sponsors information about the DfE funding that is available to academy trusts for full sponsored, intermediate and fast track academy projects, including grant payment and reporting arrangements. In some situations, the project type attracts a differing level of funding support – these are clearly identified in this document. For more information click here.
New UTC ApplicationsThe deadline for applications to establish a university technical college (UTC) is 7 October 2016. To help groups interested in opening a UTC, the DfE will publish guidance before the summer on the application process.
The guidance will include information on:
- What DfE expects in an application to establish a UTC
- What applicants need to know before applying
- How to complete and submit an application
- Who to contact for help with an application